Job Opportunities at Unilever 2021, Workshop Engineer
Oversee all Central Workshop Engineering activities on Planning, Organizing, Coordination and Control to ensure cost effective maintenance practise with high safety standard achieved. This will cover Engineering Central workshop (Welding and Fabrication) , Vehicle Garage, Irrigation and Water supply pumps, Heavy plant moving machines, Power Generators etc.
- Identify, Develop and Write Safe Operating procedures and Maintenance Checklists. Not only but also training and monitoring employees compliance to those procedures by using positive and negative reward system.
- Ensure proper machines operations. This is by reviewing and writing Operator daily checklist. Carrying incident investigations on all plant machinery to identify root causes and develop some actions to restrict re occurrence
- Writing different reports (Daily, weekly, and Monthly) on Machinery status, people’s productivity, safety status, budget expenditure
- Provide technical support to ensure downtime is minimized and ensure machines are reliable. This is done by being involved on all Five Why analysis and Fisher bone tool, Supervising designs and modifications.
- Managing maintenance budget. This is by controlling and managing number of call outs and overtimes, monitoring section budget on monthly basis and writes variance reports, proper negotiations on spare and materials by using three quotes system.
- Managing fabrication workshop. This includes close monitoring on designs and quality of works done on the section, by providing refresh courses so as to increase reliability on machines
- Daily monitoring machines performance and take some relevant actions by using teamwork. This is by having daily meetings with artisans and other section engineers.
- Managing section by maintaining workplace discipline as per company policy. This through counselling and disciplinary hearing actions, close monitoring on their job performance.
- Managing all section projects to meet deadlines and controlling quality of projects and financial expenditure to be within approved budget.
- Planning scheduled maintenance and major plant maintenance. This includes identifying all works to be done, human resources and skills required based on time, tools requirements etc.
- Spares management and control. This includes reviewing stock levels, ordering spares timely, developing spare specifications to avoid wrong spare delivery, close monitoring with purchasing sections on committed orders
- Produce weekly and monthly reports on machines efficiency, manpower efficiency, project status and financial expenditure and forecasts
B. Administration, Finance, logistics and supplies
- Advise Mechanical Engineer monthly on the status of the RM&C OPEX.
- Responsible co ordinating and monitoring central engineering activities including transport and tools distribution
- Processing departmental returns required for accounting purposes.
- Manage IR, welfare and is responsible for SHE in his/her department
- Deliver the business targets aligned to the Company Strategy into Action (SiA)
- Preparation of Department’s budgets & Capital Expenditure Proposals including vehicle omnibus, repair, maintenance, construction & track expenditure monthly.
- Control direct budgetary expenses through resource allocation and utilization in the section.
- Implement financial controls in the section as provided for in the accounting manual.
- Propose staffing needs in the section to the line manager.
- Handle internal industrial relation issues in the section in conjunction with line manager.
- Implement all company policies, regulations, guidelines and standards
C. Project Management
- Propose to the line manager and working with the projects team, prepares input and documentation for Capital Expenditure proposals.
- Execute agreed projects within time, quality and cost limits set
D. Contractor Management
- Proposes new contractors for evaluation &Provide input into the list of approved contractors/consultants
- Verifies contracts, contractor payment and supplier invoice and submits to the line manager for approval.
- Administering contracts; ensuring adherence to health, safety and environmental policies and practices; registering all potential changes; instituting change control and approval procedures.
- Participate in contractor dispute/conflict resolution in conjunction with the line manager.
- Participate in tender opening meetings.
- Ensures Specific SHE Standard defined in Unilever’s mandatory requirements regarding the safe management of contractors, working both on site and off site are implemented which also applies to on-site “temporary agency contractors working under direct Unilever supervision”.
- Involved in the establishing of an approved list of contractor organisations/temporary personnel agencies (selection) and continuously review this list based on performance. This includes ensuring the contracted are legally permitted and certified for the type of work they are being enlisted for.
- Provides a third eye by regularly visiting areas where contractors are working to ensure the standards are strictly followed.
- To handle internal inspections/audits that must be undertaken by line management to verify compliance with this standard on a regular basis.
- Analyse and report contractor performance to management.
E. Support for Units
- Organize capacity building in service centres and satellite centres.
- Serve as a link between unit service centres and estate MH satellite workshops with central engineering workshop.
- Take custody and maintain company assets within the section.
- Coordinates training on asset utilisation, care and maintenance.
- Ensure all company assets are logged and all maintenance records maintained.
- Develops, trains, coaches and mentor’s sectional employees and other units.
- Attend meetings as per departmental calendar and give input.
- Proposes staffing needs in the section to the line manager.
- Handles internal industrial relation issues in the section in conjunction with line manager.
- Implement all company policies, regulations, guidelines and standards
H. Safety, Health, Environment & Quality
- Implement Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality management systems as per company policies and legislation.
- Authorizes permits to work certificates in line with company policies
- Prepares standard operating procedures and specific work instructions for new projects and processes, and proposes reviews
- Writes up Standard Operating Procedures and safe operating procedures for developed innovation processes and machinery.
- Responsible for environmental protection, health and safety aspects during implementation of projects
- Responsible for risk assessment, including hazard and operability (HAZOP) studies, for the health and safety of both company staff; contractors and the wider community
- Carry out task risks assessments and where necessary to enlist more experienced or even external professional help for this.
- Ensuring/establishing safe systems of work and ensuring that all employees and contracted personnel adhere to them
- Ensuring that all aspects of an operation or process meet specified health, safety and environment Unilever standards and legal requirements
- Ensuring that all Health and Safety considerations have been taken into account.
- Overseeing the security at all sites (active and inactive) in coordination with the Security Manager.
- Inspecting and reviewing projects to monitor compliance with building safety codes, and other regulations.
- Bsc. Mechanical Engineering/ Bsc. Industrial engineering/ Bsc. Agricultural engineering/ BSc. Mechatronics engineering and other relevant fields.
- Experience in Industrial maintenance/Heavy equipment maintenance/Knowledge of maintenance management and planning, Knowledge of maintenance of agricultural and irrigation machinery is an added advantage.
- At-least 3 years post-graduation experience.
- Registration with ERB/IET will be an added advantage.
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.